Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Malaysia Boleh !


Etant donné que ce post n'est pas destine uniquement a des francophones, il sera en anglais, faudra faire un effort ! ;)

Almost a year ago,I preared this post about Malaysia and its hidden artistic treasure, I think that now is the time to finish and publish this one !


At that time, my now ex-collegue Lina (aka Kekure) invited me to what was suppose to be a simple private screening. Actually, it happened to be my very first introduction to Malaysian movies !

But before talking about this screening, let me say a few words about Sepet.

Sepet might actually be the best malaysian movie from the past decade - ok I haven't seen any Malaysian movie in my live, nevertheless it is indeed a very good movie and this can be backed by all the awards collected around the world ( including the Best Asian Film Award at the 18th Tokyo International Film Festival in October 2005 and an other best film award at the 27th Creteil International Women Directors Festival in France - oui, oui Creteil)
The story could be seen as a simple teenage love story, but Yasmin Ahmad - the director - manage to turn that very Malaysian story (so much in this movie about malaysian/malay/chinese culture for a Mat salleh - un blanc en Malaisie - like me) into a universal and touching story.

Back to the screening, I was lucky enough to meet Madame Yasmin Ahmad and to watch the unreleased Gubra. Gubra is Sepet sequel and has been released in Malaysia last year, you can find a full review in here. Once again Sharifah Amani (aka Nani), lead actress in both movies, is stunning and I won't make my own review on this one, but the thing is, you have to see both Gubra and Sepet ! (and also Mukhsin, shame on me I haven't watch it)


Finally, I was again allowed to attend one of Yasmin's screening. This time, this was for a documentary : "Voices At The Bottom Of The Pyramid", dealing with the working class women in India. And i must admit that once again I have been struck by Yasmin talent.

At the time I first started this post, I wanted to express something about beeing an Artist as a whole, and how sharp was the vision of life etc. etc. But you see I am not as good a writer as I wish and wasn't really able to express it the way I want.
But lucky me, yesterday i came across that post (yeah, Yasmin again!) telling everything the way I intended (ok, even better). So go and read it, can only be good for you !!


Ps : If there any chance Nani read this : Will you marry me ?? or maybe will you have dinner with me first ? ;)
(Yasmin you know i cannot propose, you're already married...)
What? it's worth a try !


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

is there any pyramids in India? hmmm, I guess I am in the wrong country. Apart from that, wowuowuwowuwo that post was brilliant. Whose ur nigga?

kekure said...

David,this really brought me back to the memory lane..LOL

Bob,u should see the pyramids in India.It's full of gorgeous gals like aishwarya rai..I had to drag david home since he wanted to watch it again and again..

David said...

Not exactly what I recall, either on the pyramids or on your fantasy of you dragging me home...

Unknown said...

By the way, Aishawarya Rai is now officially getting maried to Abishek Bachnan...

Sniff, sniff

Sh.. should have proposed before!!

David said...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!! :'(

Unknown said...

Just to express my joy to know that the infamous creteil's festival extends it reputation across the world...

François said...

Mais en vrai, tu l'as pas pliée, hein?
mon dieu cela passe-t-il comme espéré au travers de google translation?

Anonymous said...

cher david,

La reprise du blog avait été impressionnante mais ca n'a pas duré.

In english: good effort but not so far

A bientot